Stones. They are everywhere. Stumbling stones, stepping stones, stones for throwing, stones for piling. In the bible, stones are used for remembering. This is a place for me to pile my own rough stones of remembering along the road I am traveling, one post at a time. They are more than mere words thrown out into the wake of my path. They are a concrete testament of God's faithfulness, provision and goodness along the way.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

GPS and Signposts

" And your ears will hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left."  Isaiah 30:21

This morning I get to share "our story" with the JY Sunday school class.  As I geared up for this, something struck me that gave me goosebumps.  That tends to happen to me a lot these days.

I was thinking back to this summer, as fall approached and I was sorting through details for life as we know it, with commitments and activities and priorities.  All of a sudden it seemed like everything was turned upside down and I didn't know why, how or wherefore.

It was like all the signposts were pointing AWAY from the familiar.  It's like one day we found ourselves at a crossroads and we had to stand there for a moment contemplating which way to turn, and then when we finally had the clarity to step out in faith in a certain direction it led to an unexpected maze of twists and turns that didn't make any sense to us, much less others watching us venture off into new territory.

When you choose one path, you inevitably reject all of the other paths.  When you know what's around the corner of the path you have chosen, it is easier to step out.  When you don't, it's a matter of trusting the GPS and the signposts.  Thankfully for us, God has been revealing Himself in truly marvelous ways as The Great Guide when it comes to speaking clearly, if we will only shut up and listen, telling us "this is the way; walk in it."  We have also become finely attuned to His "no thru road" and "do not enter" signs and He is gracing us with the faith to trust and obey.

As I think back to this summer I can see us standing at a junction with question marks above our heads; questioning everything as a whole slew of "do not enter" signs loomed in our peripheral, we were very confused.  Why on earth would I all of a sudden have a "no thru road" sign on something that I was as passionate about as teaching at kids club?  I mean, I LOVE that job and noone else is ever chomping at the bit to do it. Not to mention last year I had started to write a three year curriculum that I was absolutely psyched about.  One year in, with all the energy and gumption to keep trekking for two more years I come to a dead end.

 In the spring I had also started dreaming about teaching JY Sunday School.  I was excited about it.  I would have loved to do it.  But all of sudden there was a huge stop sign there saying "Do not enter."   I talked to my bible study ladies about it, how God was saying "no" to all of the things that we had been doing up until now, that for this fall God was saying, "nope.  no go."  In my mind I couldn't understand how we could not do ANYTHING.  I mean it was no to EVERYTHING. 

But the voice of the GPS was like a broken record.  There was no denying its message, and so we made our announcements to all parties that there was a turn in our path and we would not be pursuing those directions.  We got alot of questions and concerns, from people who couldn't understand how or why.  And we didn't have answers.  I guess that is what faith boils down to.  Stepping forward when you can't see around the bend.  Now that I "can" see around the bend, I know why all those signposts were up.  God knew I wouldn't be here to see those jobs through. And I wouldn't have had the chance to grow in faith and obedience.

Today I am excited to share with the JY Sunday school class about God having a step by step plan for their life and futures, a plan that spans the years and is woven together over time and with many circumstances both painful and lovely, difficult and exhilarating.  I pray that they will have eyes to catch the vision of a life lived by faith, and to see trust and obedience as beautiful things that lead to amazing stories written by the Divine Author of Life.


No comments:

Post a Comment